L2D’s clients are across Australasia and are predominantly research or tertiary education institutions such as the CSIRO, medical institutes such as The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute and The Hunter Medical Research Institute and many of the universities in Australia and New Zealand.
In Asia, L2D has successfully completed projects for AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis and other pharmaceutical manufacturing clients in China. The new integrated plant-to-seed production and distribution for The International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines – which opened in 2016 – is its first major building project in almost half a century and is a standout design success.
In Australia, L2D recently completed the National Post Entry Quarantine Facility For Animals and Plants for the Department of Agriculture (formerly DAFF). This facility integrated QC1, 2 and 3 glasshouses into its complex.
Fields of Special Competence
L2D has worked across many industries, and our project expertise from inception to commissioning includes:
- Campus master planning and business case production in support of Universities or Research Institutions
- Laboratory planning and construction – biological, chemistry, physics, radiological and computing laboratories for research and teaching
- Medical research
- Biosecurity and biosafety facility design and operation
- BioResources research to QC/PC1, 2, 3 & 4 Containment
- Plant research and containment glasshouses to PC/QC 1, 2 and 3 and commercial plant production
- Tertiary education including research and pedagogical design solutions
- Workplace health and safety for laboratories
- Designs for Insectaries
- Diagnostic – pathology and forensics
- Pharmaceutical and manufacturing production facilities
- Laboratory benchmarking – CSIRO National Benchmarking and Utilisation Study on Laboratory Accommodation Standards
- Enhanced commissioning of laboratory and animal/plant research facilities
- Repurposing laboratories and adaptive reuse
- Interior design